The Hideaway – Swellendam
10 Hermanus Steyn Street, Swellendam, Overberg, Western Cape, South Africa
At the start of the Garden Route, you will find “The Hideaway”, elegantly tucked away in Swellendam. You will be welcomed with “old world charm & rustic luxury” in a quiet and peaceful atmosphere. Your hosts, Stephen and Jackie, offer genuine personal service with homemade food. You will testify after your visit that this was not only real value for your money, but indeed a very special stay… Children of all ages are welcome! We encourage you to read further….
- “”The Hideaway” is one of the least expensive five-star establishments and winners of international awards for the last 13 years! Their most recent prestigious award is being the National Winner of the “AA Quality Assured Award” that made them experts in high service levels, quality of facilities, cleanliness, ambience and food…
- The mini bar in each suite is stocked with a selection of cold drinks, beer, fresh milk and bottled water for guests to consume on the premises at no charge.
- Free private Wi-Fi internet access is available to guests anywhere on the premises at any time, making “The Hideaway” not only perfect for holiday makers, but also for people on business transit.
- Romantic Ambiance: They offer a heated indoor plunge pool and they make each honeymoon couple feel very special during their stay.
- Exclusive to “The Hideaway” Guests only: A tour in the “Bontebok Park”, guided by the award winning Adin Greaves (subject to availability & at additional cost).
Making a Difference
- They provide recycling facilities on their premises.
- They use solar energy and heat pumps to heat our water and are converting to LED lighting throughout the property.
- They provide training programmes for their staff; encourage literacy training; give them responsibility & their staff also shares financially in the success of the business. Their staff is all permanently contracted and enjoys generous terms and conditions of service, including 25 days holiday per year, flexible shifts and 2 bonuses per year.
- Stephen is the Treasurer of the Swellendam Tourism Organization which actively promotes and funds the development of Tourism business, skills and products in the previously disadvantaged community.
- Jackie is on the Board of the local Hospice which is committed to improving the quality of life for all members of the community with terminal illness.
- “This is possibly the best place to stay on the planet! Perfect peace. We hope to return some day.” Rob and Margaret, Golbourn - Scotland
- “The best place that we have stayed in so far. Superb welcome and service throughout our (sadly) short stay. Would love to return and stay longer. Absolutely excellent” Janine, Adrian Hall, Sue, Kevin Tettmar, Jane & Mick Cantor, UK
- “A wonderful experience” – Guests from Milano
- “A suprising place” – Chris, Ilkley - United Kingdom
- “Just go - you will not be disappointed!” Tanya, Cape Town Central - South Africa
- “Wonderful hosts, 1st class service.” – Guest from London, United Kingdom
All rates at “The Hideaway” include breakfast. However, the following will be offered to you (free of charge); Valid throughout the year:
- On arrival, a cup of tea, coffee, or homemade lemonade with Jackie's homemade biscuits.
- Dinner is excluded, but Stephen & Jackie will assist you with Restaurant bookings. Before you leave, you will be given a complimentary glass of local wine served with snacks (homemade sundried tomato cheese straws, cheesy biscuits with caraway seeds, wasabi peanuts, peri peri cashews and other local treats)
- The mini bar in each suite is stocked with a selection of cold drinks, beer, fresh milk and bottled water for our guests to consume on the premises – no charge!
- Another bonus! You will have access to free private Wi-Fi internet anywhere on the premises at any time.
- (On request), Breakfast is served with a glass of bubbly or Buck’s Fizz.
- If the friendly staff of The Hideaway notices that you enjoy their heated indoor plunge pool, you will be offered a glass of bubbly to make your dip extra special.
- If you stay 2 or more nights, your washing will be free of charge.
- Upon departure each couple receives a complimentary bottle of locally made youngberry liqueur.
- + A few extra surprises await you in your room and during your stay….
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”
- Nelson Mandela