Whalesong Lodge – Gansbaai
83 Cliff Street, De Kelders/ Gansbaai, Cape Whale Coast/ Overberg, Western Cape, South Africa
The small & intimate Whalesong Lodge overlooks the picturesque Walker Bay coast line in Gansbaai. They offer fantastic land based whale watching with views stretching from the white sand dunes of “Die Plaat” (past Hermanus) all the way to Cape Point! They are an excellent option for weekend breaks, since they are only two hour’s drive from Cape Town. Note: Gansbaai is also World renowned for its Great White Sharks and we highly recommend doing a Shark Cage Diving Tour while visiting Whalesong Lodge… We’ve done it and it’s LifeChanging!
Note: Minimum 2 night’s stay from September to January
- Breathtaking views: Whalesong Lodge is north facing and one of the few places on the Cape Southwest Coast where you are able to watch the sun set over the sea all year round. Once the sun is set, appreciate the crystal clear night sky as there are no street lights in Cliff Street…
- You are able to watch (Southern Right) whales from the shore of the De Kelders cliffs and from the Lodge itself (which is 70m from the sea).
- What is the difference between a 5 bed roomed guesthouse and a 500 bed roomed hotel? Simply this: You can EXPERIENCE Personalized South African Hospitality in a small & intimate way like no other...
- They are situated 40km away from the famous town, Hermanus and 17.9km from the World Renowned Grotto (Blue Flag) Beach. Wine & Dine in Style at the very popular "Benguela Restaurant" OR "Kloeks @ Home", both only 0.3km from Whalesong Lodge! Location… Location… Location…
- Romantic Ambiance: A very good choice for your Honeymoon or Anniversary.
- Organic produce and Seasonal eating from local suppliers are of a high priority at Whalesong Lodge. Lainy (co-owner of Whalesong Lodge) is gluten and dairy intolerant, so there is always something alternative at Whalesong Lodge for guests with similar dietary requirements. Lainy has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to alternative eating & product use (e.g. raw food). They can cater for any intolerances, diets (vegetarians/ vegans/ pescaterians) and allergies….
- As frightening as it sounds, do yourself a favour and do a Great White Shark Cage Diving expedition. It’s not only thrilling, but very educational and you will appreciate these sea creatures a lot more in comparison to the bad media propaganda.
Making a Difference
- Whalesong Lodge are involved in sponsoring students in a local upliftment project run by Jason Stonehewer, a local Marine Guide. They train young adults as nature guides and instilling a love for nature.
- They also support “Trees for Tourism” & Dyer Island Conservation Trust
- "After spotting whales whilst having lunch in Hermanus, imagine our delight when we pulled up at Whalesong Lodge to find those same whales just metres away from where we were staying! Whalesong Lodge is an outstanding guest house in every respect, from its superb location up on the cliffs, to its chic decor to its fabulous hosts who were readily available to discuss our plans and advise on the best routes to take and the best places to visit. Although we were not honeymooners, we had opted for the honeymoon suite to help us celebrate 14 years of marriage and it was breath-taking, with full length windows looking out to the bay we could lie in bed and whale watch to our hearts content. We thoroughly loved our time at Whalesong Lodge and wouldn't hesitate to book here again the next time we are in De Kelders/Gansbaai." - Nicholas Matthews, England
- "What a wonderful experience we had at Whalesong Lodge. Our flight into Cape Town was delayed, but Stanley was on hand to greet us warmly with a bottle of wine from their excellent selection upon our very late arrival in the middle of a stormy night. The rooms and service are impeccable, it's the perfect place to relax and leave behind the hustle and bustle of the city and feel at home, yet pampered. The whales put on a show right in front of us (about 50 metres away!) while we enjoyed delicious breakfasts, and Stanley and Lainy's dining and activity recommendations were always on point. We will be back, hopefully for more than two nights! - Sarah L, Johannesburg (South Africa)
- “Best accomodation on our entire SA and Namibia trip!” Dennis P - Muenster, Germany
- “Lovely experience, excellent service, fantastic location!” – Guest from Sao Paulo
- “One of our most memorable stays in SA” – Guest from Cologne, German
"People need loving the most when they deserve it the least."
- John Harrison